In Pursuit of my Personal Legend



Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Rob Thomas Collection: Mockingbird

This song's title keeps reminding me of Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird" the mockingbird represents people. A mocking bird "is a harmless bird that makes the world a pleasant place".

Looking at the definitions online about Rob Thomas it seems that the song is about his wife, her illness and the inability to have children. And maybe the mocking bird represents a child that they cannot have. "Still that mockingbird won't sing".

The acoustic of this song hit to the core. Again with Rob Thomas it seems like he discovered one of the many meanings of life.

To me it represents some type of internal situation that won't work. It's like wanting to connect with someone -anyone - in a deeper level. But it won't happen. That mockingbird of a person won't sing my song. It's a goal that won't happen- trying to meet a financial stability, to be in social justice, so that many tears won't be shed due to a human basic need. That mockingbird of justice just won't sing. And I look around me and see all those smiles "Everybody else is smiling and their smiles won't fade . . . and (I) don't think that way" and I just can't smile at what they are smiling because my mockingbirds won't sing.

The part about "leading you through this broken promise land" to me I put it on Christ. He will lead me there. Broken hearted, tired and still clinging to the hope that the mockingbird(s) will sing someday. As for being "lost somewhere" we are all lost in some way or form. Even the best of us. One of our goals is that as we journey we will find what we are looking for. We will be out of some wood and find the answers gradually.






Here we stand
somewhere in between this moment and the end
will we bend?
or will we open up and take this whole thing in?
everybody else is smiling and their smiles don't fade
and you don't even wonder why you just don't think that way

Maybe you and me got lost somewhere, we can't move on we can't stay here
well maybe we've just had enough, well maybe we aint meant for this love
you and me tried everything
but still that mocking bird wont sing
well man this life seems hard enough
well maybe we aint meant for this love

Take my hand
and I will lead you through the broken promise land
yes I can, ah yes I can
I can be there when you need it, I'll give it all till you can't feel it anymore
I don't wanna love you now, if you'll just leave someday
I don't wanna turn around, if you'll just walk away

Maybe you and me got lost somewhere, we can't move on we can't stay here
well maybe we've just had enough, well maybe we aint meant for this love
you and me tried everything
but still that mocking bird wont sing
well man this life seems hard enough
well maybe we aint meant for this love

Maybe you and me got lost somewhere, we can't move on we can't stay here
well maybe we've just had enough, well maybe we aint meant for this love
you and me tried everything
but still that mocking bird wont sing
well man this life seems hard enough
well maybe we aint meant for this love

Maybe we aint meant for this love
Maybe we aint meant for this love
Lyrics meanings and lyrics courtesy of http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/3530822107858783156/  and http://www.shmoop.com/to-kill-a-mockingbird/symbolism-imagery.html about Harper Lee's book.
Picture of the mockingbird  http://duncraft.atom5.com/files/mockingbird.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment